Thank you for your purchase of the Blushing WordPress Theme! Following is the installation guide to help you set up.
- blogpixieblushing.zip (do not unzip)
- genesis.zip (do not unzip)
IMPORTANTIf you have Bluehost – make sure the Bluehost Website Builder plugin and theme are deleted before you start. You can find these in Appearance > Themes, and in the Plugins section. You can ask Bluehost to remove them. Their website builder will cause your site to crash as soon as you upload a custom theme.
You will need to follow the instructions step-by-step to install the theme successfully.
Steps To Follow 1. Install Genesis 2. Install Theme 3. Install Plugins 4. Regenerate Thumbnails 5. Add Your Header Image 6. Set Up Your Menu 7. Set up Slider / Featured Pages 8. Set Up Your Side Bar 9. Add Your Instagram Feed 10. Add Contact Form 11. Remove Genesis Footer
1. Install GenesisFirstly you will need to install the Genesis Framework. In your WordPress menu go to Appearance > Themes > Add New > Upload Theme. Upload the genesis.zip file. Do not activate it.
2. Install ThemeTo install your theme, do the same steps above (Appearance > Themes > Add New > Upload Theme) and upload the blogpixieblushing.zip file. Once uploaded, you can activate this one! Next, in your WordPress menu go to Dashboard > Updates and update Genesis so that you have the latest version.
3. Install PluginsFollowing are the Plugins you’ll need to install and activate to run with your theme. Go to Plugins > Add New > then use the Search bar to search the names of the ones mentioned below. For each one, click “Install Now” then “Activate”. Contact Form 7 – You can add a contact form to your Contact page. Image Widget (the one by “The Events Calendar”) – Used for your side bar profile pic. Smash Balloon Social Photo Feed – Display your Instagram feed. Portfolio Post Type – Enables a portfolio post type and taxonomies. Regenerate Thumbnails – Regenerate the thumbnails of your images. Simple Social Icons – Add social media icons to top menu and side bar. Slider by Soliloquy – Adding the homepage slideshow Woocommerce – Only if you intend on running an online store on your blog.
4. Regenerate ThumbnailsIf your blog is brand new / doesn’t have any images then you can skip this step! If you have existing images on your website, your images don’t know yet that they are supposed to be using the new image sizes of your new theme. You’ll need to resize your images using the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin so they can have the same size as the images shown in the demo,
- Go to Tools > Regenerate Thumbnails.
- Click Regenerate Thumbnails for All Attachments
- Do not exit the page until the process has completed 100%
5. Add Your Header ImageGo to Appearance > Header and click Add New Image. Upload your header image / logo. It will need to be 1105px by 288px. If you’d like to make your header image in the same font as the demo, the fonts used are: Canva Pro (I highly recommend). They have a free trial available if needed. If you already have a logo and it’s a different size, simply use Canva to create a new design at custom dimensions of 1105×288. Add your logo image onto the background and save to upload.
6. Set Up Your Menu
Page Links + CategoriesBefore creating your menu, make sure you’ve created some pages first. In your WordPress menu go to Pages > Add New and create your first page (eg. About). Give it a title and some content. Repeat for each page you need. If you’d like the Categories drop down in your menu, you’ll need to make sure you’ve created some by going to Posts > Categories and add the categories you’ll be posting about there. If you’ve done neither of these things above, you’ll have nothing to add to your menu yet. Creating Your Menu: 1. Go to Appearance > Menus 2. Give your menu a name (eg. “Top Menu”) and click Create Menu 3. Add the pages/categories you want to have in your menu. 4. Under Menu Settings (at the bottom of the page), select “Primary Navigation Menu” 5. Click “Save Menu” To create your Home link: In the left under Pages, click “View All” and you’ll find the Home link to add in. To add your pages: In the left under Pages, the pages you have created will be there to select from. Select what you want to add to your menu and click the “Add to Menu” button. To create a drop down, eg Categories:
- Add a custom link to your menu (give it the title ‘Categories’ and link it to your blog URL)
- Add your Categories to your menu (you can select them from the left side), eg. Beauty, Lifestyle, Personal
- Make sure the Categories you add are sitting just under the Categories title, then drag each of them slightly to the right and you will see them snap lock to be sitting underneath Categories but off to the right (see image below). This means these words will drop down under the title that’s sitting above them.
- Click Save Menu
Social Media IconsGo to Appearance > Widgets and click the drop down arrow on the Nav Social Menu section. Drag the Simple Social Icons button from the options on the left into the Nav Social Menu section. Add your URLS for all the social accounts you have and click save.
Wishlist PageIf you’d like to add a wishlist page, you’ll need an account at Rewardstyle or Shopstyle Collective. If you have a Rewardstyle account, you’ll need to install the Rewardstyle Plugin for WordPress. Then you can create a “Boutique”, grab the code for WordPress and paste it into your Wishlist page.
7. Set Up Slider + Featured PagesNow you need to set up your homepage slider and featured pages.These are all optional. In your WordPress menu go to Appearance > Widgets. Find the section called ‘Before Content’. Drag the widgets from the left into this section in the same order as shown below.
8. Set Up Your Side BarIn your WordPress menu go to Appearance > Widgets. This section shown below is your side bar. You can add the following widgets into this section (drag them from the left into the Primary Sidebar box). Remove any unnecessary widgets that were already sitting in there.
Save the widget. Custom HTML: This is where you can place the bonus blush contact envelope. Copy the code below and paste into the widget:
This is where you write a short bio about yourself. Let your readers know who you are, where you're from and what your blog is about. <a class="more-link" href="http://YOURABOUTMEPAGELINK">About me</a>
Save the widget. Simple Social Icons: You’ll need to drag this widget into this section, like you did earlier for the top menu. Then fill out your social URLs again. Search: Add a title if needed (eg. “Search The Blog”) Custom HTML: Add another Custom HTML widget. Give it the title Pinterest. Add in the following code and replace YOURUSERNAME with your Pinterest username.
<center><a href=https://YOURCONTACTPAGELINKHERE><img src=https://blushingwordpress.blogpixie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/envelope.png></a></center>
Genesis – Featured Posts: You will need to drag this widget into this section, then give it the title Popular Posts. Use the following settings: Custom HTML: Here is where you can paste the code for a Google Adsense ad (instructions here) or an image link for any sponsors you may have.
<center><a data-pin-do="embedUser" data-pin-board-width="280" data-pin-scale-height="280" data-pin-scale-width="80" href="https://www.pinterest.com/YOURUSERNAME"></a></center> <script async defer src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js"></script>